Key assumptions behind Appreciative Inquiry:
- In every situation, something works. Find it and let it flourish.
- What we focus on becomes our reality. If we focus on possibilities we find possibilities, and if we focus on problems we find problems.
- There are always multiple realities, as different ways of seeing a situation.
- The way we ask questions either creates or denies possibilities. So it’s important to be mindful how we do this.
- The language we use creates our reality.
- If we carry forward some of our old ways into the future they should be the very best of our old ways.
- Diversity nourishes creativity and resilience, so value difference by seeking it out and welcoming it.